Sunday, January 31, 2016

Regrowing green onions

I tried this last year and I'm doing it again this year being more careful this time. Regrowing stuff! I started with green onions because it's easy and because we put green onions in almost everything.
Easy like I said, just make sure you leave 2-3cm of the onion from the roots when you cut it and put the stem in water, change the water 1-2 time per week (I also "clean" the roots by running water on them to remove anything that can collect in there) and set in a indirect sunny spot somewhere in your house and voilà! You will have green onion growing back from the old one.
 


I notice that after regrowing the same onion 2 times, it has a tendency to grow thinner... My guess is that the onion get "tired" at some point and can't produce bigger "green". I think it's normal but all in all, you can regrow your onion 2 times which is not that bad considering the fact that it's not like it's hard to take care of and it doesn't cost anything to do it.
Last year, I tried regrowing lettuce and it worked well but I didn't continue to do it because we weren’t eating enough lettuce and I ended up "loosing" them.
Other easy stuff you can regrow is: leeks, celery, pineapple, garlic, garlic sprout and even mushroom (got to try this one this summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment